Thursday, July 5, 2012

Yankee Doodle Dandy




I love the 4th of July.
I love the way it brings out an extra
dose of people's pride in our country
the way that Christmas brings out extra doses of kindness and joy.
I often think how glad I am to have been born here in the USA,
but on Independence Day, I feel it all the way in my toes!
Not that our country is with out its flaws, and not that there aren't things I hope to see change before my children become adults...
 but the hope that in fact change could occur,
that its possible... that's why I love our country.

And we celebrated the USofA's birthday in grand fashion this year.
We started the day off with a the "Yankee Doodle Parade"
 in our neigboring town.The parade was held 
on the streets of the town square, which is over 100 years old.
The sea of red, white, and blue was beautiful

 

This picture tickles me so much. London put this necklace on by herself and brought the tea cup along with her.
She is too, too funny!
 
 

I love the picture bellow. It makes me smile to think
about how many decades of patriotic parades 
this little square has seen. 






The kids loved the parade.
They were dancing and waving and saluting
every person they saw in uniform.
My favorite part of the parade was when a float with retired veterans came down the street and the crowd went wild cheering for them.
I was just barely able to hold back the tears. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After the parade we came home and had a quiet afternoon.
We ate hot dogs on star splattered plates. Does it get more American than that? ;)
We had family cuddles and naps.
It was perfection.

Then we got ready again and headed over to our friends house for a BBQ and a great time.
 
Seriously, I could have died at the cuteness of London's bathing suit.

 



In case you are wondering where all the pictures of Dylan are, it turns out that almost all of them were taken with his little friends. They are precious, but I try to never post other people's kids on here, because I don't feel its my place. But trust me, brother was there and he had maybe the biggest time of us all. 
 

 


 After some swimming, delicious food, and fabulous company we all headed to the front yard to shoot some fire works.

 Dylan is crazy about the sparklers. He waves them around and dashes them through the air and I can just tell that he's acting out some grand adventurous story in his head.

London is a little more cautious with them. She keeps her arm out as far away from her body as possible and gives them gentle waves.


My two little firecrackers both had a great time.


A parade, family time, BBQ with friends, and fireworks,
it doesn't get much better than that. 

God Bless America.

post signature
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment