Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmasy Things

Like many others around the globe, Christmas is my very favorite time of the year. I love the warm-coziness that it brings, I love the happy memories that tag along, and I love the traditions new and old that belong to it. And lucky for me, the Christmas season is in full swing here at the Hilburn House.
We have watched a handful of Christmas films already, enjoyed plenty of cups of hot coco in our snowman mugs, decked the halls, and even had our first Christmas party this past weekend.
One tradition that we began this year was Elf on the Shelf. He magically arrived on our door step the night of Thanksgiving with a book that told us all about him. He watched the kids all day long and then flies back to the North Pole to report to Santa while they sleep at night. Every morning he is somewhere new and the kids love running to find him. We named our Elf Peppermint. He'll be coming back for years and years to come!


I have lots of fun Christmas activities planned for us, and we kicked them off on Monday night when we took the kids to see A Journey to Bethlehem, which is a live nativity scene that you walk through. It was very cool and I think it really brought to life the story of Jesus's birth for Dylan. I was a bit worried that London would get frightened by the Roman Soldiers, but she is one brave cookie, just like her brother, and she loved the whole thing.
We will go back next year for sure.

There are a ton of Christmas events and projects on the horizon for Dylan at his school. The first of many was his assignment to make a Christmas Stocking. They gave up a pattern and left to rest up to our imagination. Dylan's stocking is "Kindergarten" themed, and I thought it turned out very cute! I can't wait to walk Dylan into school later this week and see what everyone else came up with!

Tonight, Dylan has choir practice for the Christmas musical. With all this Christmas (how many times do you think that word has been typed by now!?) stuff going on right now, I feel like we might turn into Elf! And I love it. I think we would make cute little elf!

post signature

Posted by Picasa

1 comment: