Friday, April 13, 2012

Mississippi Day 2: Great Grandparents!!

Friday morning we slept in and took our time getting ready, which one of the best parts of vacation if you ask me, before hitting the road to Hattiesburg. We met Daniel's grandmother, Momma Ree, and his Aunt Pat there for lunch. I couldn't leave with out taking a few pictures the kids inmfront of the creak in Umpa and Memom's back yard. I know I said the river is my favorite place ever to take pictures, but this might be a tie. I looks like an Olan Mills backdrop to me.

I took 1,000 more, but blogger limits me to 20 pictures a post.


After driving 9 hours to Mississippi, the two hours it takes to get from McComb to Hattiesburg seemed like a hop down the road. We chose Chick-fil-a so that the kids could play while we visited and it worked out perfectly. A nice restaurant would have been great, but in this season of life... Chick-fil-a makes so much more sense. There will be plenty of years of nice restaurants, and I'm sure I'll miss the days of play places and kids meals. We loved seeing Momma Ree and Aunt Pat and are hoping to spend much more time with them on our next trip.
Daniel's Grandparents live right outside of Hattiesburg out in the country.
I've said it before, but there house is one of both mine and Daniel's favorite places on earth. I think the kids would tell you the same. Its peaceful and calming and I feel like little particles of happiness and feel-goods float through the air. We all feel right at home when we are there. My kids think the guest room with two twin beds in it is there solely for them, I think. And we feel the same way about Daniel's parents house. We are so lucky to have two places that are so special to us. Its like Island hopping from one paradise to another when visiting.

As soon as we pull up to the house, the kids are running for the back yard. The car doors haven't even shut before London has found her way to the tree swing. Dylan runs straight to Grandpa every time.

Just like Umpa, Grandpa had his own little put-put course set up for the kids. How fun is that? And can we please discuss how grown up Dylan looks in the photo bellow? He'll be ready for a real tee time before long.
Just like at Memom and Umpa's house, the bulk of our day is spent right where its supposed to be when your in the country on a beautiful spring day... outside.

And at Grandma and Grandpa's house... juice boxes are unlimited.

We did take a break from playing outside for a bit and London helped Grandma in the kitchen. They made a blueberry pie. And of course, Grandma lets her sneak a few bites, because that's what grandmas do! Dylan and Grandpa were in the video game room fighting off some tough boogers (this is what the Grandparents call the villain in video games, and now so does Dylan).
Grandma and Grandpa always have a few farm animals around. Mainly chickens and roosters. This visit they had baby goats. Actually, they are Aunt Paula's (who lives next door) but they were in Grandma's yard. The kids (goats, not MY kids) were so darn cute (well, MY kids are too) and have been bottle fed since birth, so they are tame. The kids (human ones) were beside themselves when Grandma said they could feed and pet them.

My kids with the kids.
Isn't that fun!?

A trip to Grandpa's is not complete with out a ride and an adventure on the his tractor.

Okay, I said McComb was my favorite place to take pictures of the kids, but this is too. So, its a three way tie. Mississippi is just a beautiful place.

After dinner, Grandma set up eggs to dye. London was SO excited. Dylan was feeling a little too cool for school about them. He dyed one egg and was done. London though that suited her just fine. She's like her mommy and loves any sort of craft, I think!

Before we headed in for the night, Daniel noticed there was a chicken that seemed stuck on the outside of its fence. He and London tried to help in back in. Turns out the chicken didn't need any help to figure out what to do, but it was so funny to watch Daniel trying to lend a helping hand.

In the process of being Old Mac Daniel, one of the goats escaped. Daniel chased it around a bit before deciding to pick it up and carry it inside the fence. When he picked the goat up, that sweet little girl turned around and gave him a big ole lick on the nose!
Once again, the babies were asleep in about 10 seconds flat.
Mississippi fresh air just does that to ya.

Can I just say how much it means to me that my babies have THREE great grandparents in their lives? Three people who have grand-parented their Daddy and now them. People who made memories that only grandparents do with their Daddy and now remake some of the same special memories with them. It means the world to me.
I pray that one day my grandchildren are blessed in the same way, and even more!


post signature
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment