Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dylan!

I feel like I was just sitting down yesterday to fill out pages in his baby book, but atlas I'm sitting down tonight to write down Birthday wishes for my sweet baby's 7th Birthday. Dylan is seven years old today. Wow. That does not even seem possible.

We had a wonderful day that was full of fun and sweet memories. I can't wait to post every single detail, but I am so tired that I can not even see straight, so it will wait for tomorrow. Birthdays are a big deal here in the Hilburn house. I mean, they only happen once a year, right? And you only turn 7 (or 3, or 25, or 30, or...) once in your whole life! If Birthday's don't call for celebrating in a big way, I just don't know of anything else that does. My goal is always to make the day special and full of fun from the moment our Birthday boy or girl wakes up until the time the go to bed. Its a lot of work and planning, and at the end of the day I feel like I've been hit by a train, but its all SO worth it. We're investing in memories here. That's what I tell myself and Daniel.

Again, I'll do a full recap soon, tonight I just want to record a little note for my Birthday Boy. We go back and read the blog as a family from time to time, and I also plan to print it soon, so I treat it much like a journal. So, bare with me if your not into the mushy gooshyness that is about to ensue.

Dylan,

My sweet, sweet Sunshine. I can hardly believe that you are seven years old today. I know I say it every year, but I feel like I was just holding you in my arms and rocking a newborn baby to sleep. Now, you are a big boy that still loves for your Mommy to hold you in my arms while you fall to sleep. You might not fit cradled in my arms any more, and your getting closer to outgrowing my lap, but you will never outgrow the love I have for you in my heart.

I remember once taking you to the mall when you were a tiny baby. You were probably about 4 months old. While we were strolling around, I over heard a little boy asking his Daddy for a guitar. The dad said "Maybe when you turn seven in a few months." I looked down at you, a tiny little baby, and thought "Wow! One day HE will be seven." Back then, that seemed like light years away. It would surely take you thousands of years to turn seven, to become a kid and not a baby. I'll never forget staring at you and wondering what you would be like when you finally did grow into that seven year old kid. I wondered if you would want Daddy to buy you a guitar or if you would want action figures, or maybe video games? What would you look like and how would your voice sound?

Let me tell you, Love Bug, you are every bit as amazing as I ever dreamed, on that night or any other, that you would be.

You are funny and smart. You make us laugh every single day. And there aren't any days that go by that we are not impressed by your smart little brain. You are a fast learner and are eager to learn all sorts of new things. You remind me so much of you Daddy in that way. I hope that trait sticks with you for all of your life.

You are kind and compassionate. You blow me away with the kindness inside your heart. I can't even put words to it. You are just a ray of pure sweetness. You are of course like anyone else and can be angered or maybe you act ugly from time to time, but it really is a rare thing. Again, I pray that this sticks with you for the rest of your life.

You are SO creative. You are always creating. Coloring, playing make believe, writing stories, writing songs and movie scrips. I really believe that you will do something with all that creativity one day when you grow up.

I don't mean to make it sound as though you are perfect. No one is. You make mistakes. We have bad days. You and your sister fight. You are typical little boy in that way. And there is not one thing wrong with that. You not perfect, but you are perfect for us. You are the most perfect fit for our family and we love you so, so much. You were a big surprise when you came into this world, Dylan. But I have no doubt in my mind that you were God's exact plan for me and for Daddy. You made us parents and you made us a family. You taught us a love that we could have never imagined. And you teach us new things all the time.

Seven is going to be great for you, my love. You will have so much fun in first grade. You're going to love all the new opportunities that seven is bringing you. Some things you are already looking forward to are, boyscouts, sleepovers, and baseball. And there are so many more that you haven't even thought of yet. Six was brilliant and such a fun year, but I think your going to love seven even more!

I love you with all of my heart. As big as the sky.

Mommy.




No comments:

Post a Comment