Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Spending the Days with a Princess.

Up until this past August, when Dylan started Kindergarten, London and I have never really spent the days just the two of us.
Sure, Dylan had pre-school...
but that was half days two or three days a week.
Last year, London and I would take Dylan to school every Tuesday and Thursday at 9am.
We would then come home and hang out together and
spend one-on-one time together until lunch time at 11.
As soon as lunch was over it was nap time, and then time to pick up Dylan.
We are talking 4 hours of alone time a week.

So, when the time rolled around to send Dylan off for whole days, five days a week...
I have to say, I wasn't sure what to expect for London and I.
I was worried she would be bored with me.
I was worried I would run out of things to do with her.
I worried that if I took her to do super fun things, that Dylan's feelings would be hurt.
And I worried about being worried.
After all, she's my child!
WHY should I be so worried about spending the days alone with her!?

It wasn't that I feared being alone with my daughter though.
Its just that I had never done much of it.
She and I have always had Dylan with us.
We were used to a threesome during the days.

The first few weeks were interesting.
London and I had to feel out what our new routine would be.
I signed up for classes so that she wouldn't get bored with me.
I had a class for her to go on 3 out of the 5 weekdays.
Mommy and Me classes, where we could get out of the house and she could play with lots of new friends. All three classes fell through.
I found two other things to take her too, and it turns out that all those other classes might have been too much for us anyways! I love how things have a way of just working out!
But now we are months into our new normal, and I have to say...
I miss Dylan while he is at school. I think about him and hope he is having a great day.
But I love having time with my girl.
I told a friend the other day that I feel like I've gotten to know London in a whole new way.
Her little personality is so different when she is on her own.
She loves her brother with all her little heart.
She admires him. And she often takes the co-staring roll to him, playing along with whatever he is doing, but not usually taking the lead.
But when its just her, she is one divalicious-spotlight loving girl.
And she is so very funny.
She is sweet and loving.
And she is one smart cookie.
I love getting to have this time with her.
At first, I felt a little guilt about loving it so much.
How could I feel like that when I love having Dylan at home too?
But then I remember how special these years were for just me and Dylan too.
He had these years with me.
It was just he and I during the days for four years.
Four Beautiful years that I will always cherish.
And he still gets plenty of my love, attention, and time when he gets home.
He loves school.
He wants to be at school.
And, I think that he is happy that London and I are happy being home together.



So what do we girls do with our selves during the day
while brother is at school and Daddy's at work?
We play dolls.
We go to the library.
We have lunch dates
and play dates.
We run errands,
and do chores.
We visit Grammy.
We volunteer at Dylan's school
anytime they need help.
We take walks.
We pain our nails.
We watch cartoons.
We take baths during the day
just for fun.
We just hang out
and enjoy each other.
And just yesterday...


for the first time since she has been big enough to really "help"


We baked cookies.

And it was a smashing hit.

Sister loves to bake cookies.
I see lots of baking in our wintery-futures!


And of course we save some for Brother and Daddy.














post signature

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment